Thursday, January 21, 2010

up early

I've set my alarm an hour earlier than usual for the past two mornings. I get up diligently, like a monk, and begin at my desk. Yesterday I wrote a "discussion quiz" and this morning I am researching analogies and writing journal prompts.

One day, my filing cabinet will be full of all these mornings: it will smell like vanilla coffee and it may gurgle like my humidifier is doing now, it may brighten slowly like the Alaskan sky.

I realized the juniors are all taking the SAT/ACT soon and we haven't talked about analogies: these tricky bridges, these tiny colons and the many, many black bubbles! Sometimes it's good when they talk in class: "Hey Scott, you taking the ACT?" It lets me know what they are doing; what they might need.

In other news, I was a completely responsible/irresponsible teacher over the three day weekend. I flew stand-by to San Diego to surprise my most beautiful boyfriend. I stood on the beach and felt waves rush up past my ankles, cold, thrilling, and then release back into the ocean. I thought of it like teaching, like planning - every day is a wave, it goes in, goes out - and this week I haven't been super planned, and you know what? It has gone swimmingly. Long weekends are to treat thy mind and body, to eat decadent food, indulge in thoughtful conversation, witness stunning feats of nature, and maybe even cuddle. These are the things I am learning about becoming a teacher. I think the title is funny. "Teacher." Aren't we all teachers?

No comments:

Post a Comment