Tuesday, February 9, 2010

from my student

I am grading reader response journals, and this is exactly what I needed to read this morning. I am in constant awe at these tiny enlightened beings. They are more like me than I ever thought. I only hope I can provide encouragement for their ripe, raw hearts.

Here is the quote she chose, from Salman Rushdie's "Midnight's Children"
"In short, I am literally disintegrating, slowly for the moment, although there are signs of acceleration. I ask you only to accept (as I have accepted) that I shall eventually crumble into (approximately) six hundred and thirty million particles of anonymous, and necessarily oblivious, dust" (43).

Now for her response:
"I can completely relate to this passage. There was a point in my life that I was going to crumble. Sometimes even now. That I'm disintegrating slowly for the moment, but there are signs of acceleration. I even feel like I am going to crumble in six hundred and thirty million particles. I could read this quote over and over again and never ever feel different about how I feel now."

Oh, we are all in this together, aren't we?
With gratitude to the Universe,
Ms. E

No comments:

Post a Comment