Thursday, July 1, 2010

momentum

day two! I got up and my first instinct was to read. I am reading Sylvia Plath's "The Bell Jar" and I am quite fond of it currently, so that's what I wanted to do the minute I rolled out of bed.

[Also, I found the book my mom recommended to me "Gift from the Sea" which is excellent too -
a woman's musing on philosophy based on the shape of different shells.
I started this before bed last night, so I kinda' wanted to read that too...]


but then I heard my disciplined monk Emily voice (yes, she's there, somewhere) say, "HEY! you're just trying to procrastinate! make tea and bring your laptop to the front room and START!" and so I listened to monk Emily and I wrote for an hour and watched people walk by on Rodney Avenue.

Incredible, really, what an hour of writing produces. Not much, really. This morning I wrote a small section about the Finkl and Sons steel factory I used to ride by after I finished the night shift in Chicago. The internet is great for simultaneously writing and researching to make sure facts and street names are intact. So the narrative didn't really progress much today, but it became more detailed, which is excellent.

THEN. One hour of job application-ing, which ALSO doesn't amount to very much. (It all adds up, I can hear my mother say.) One application I am working on has these small text boxes for gigantic questions like, "What are your professional goals." eek. So I filled in three of those text boxes efficiently, and hopefully, eloquently, in an hour's span.

Now I am rewarding myself with some reading time. HA! What a nerd :) Later a bike ride to the co-op to check out some killer bulk sections and to prepare for the 24 mile hike this weekend. Powdered eggs? maybe. Grand Marnier Cinnamon French Toast at the base of Mount Hood, yes please!

No comments:

Post a Comment